Innovation is the commercial implementation of new ideas and R&D results. Michael vom Baur has been involved in several innovations in a leading role. He was e.g. coordinator of all R&D-activities in Europe’s largest shipbuilding group (Aker Yards ASA), Chairman of the permanent R&D-working group of the European shipbuilders association and Secretary of the European Technology Platform WATERBORNE (http://www.maritime-rdi.eu/about/about-waterborne/)
- Managing Director responsible for the commercial implementation of R&D results (process development for anaerobic waste water and waste treatment, Biogas / Cooperation with Fraunhofer Gesellschaft / GER): full scale demonstration plants (i.e. funded by German Ministry of Research and Technology) and first fully commercial plants.
- Lead of full scale trials and later being coordinator of the licensor group for the commercial exploitation of Grim’s Vane Wheel, a propulsion improving device for ships (4 international propeller makers as licensees)
- As initiator and member of management essentially involved in the implementation of SWATH-Technology (Small Waterplane Twin Hull / semi-submersible twin hull ships) in Europe. Acquisition and processing of first orders, creation of the brand „SWATH@A&R“
- Heading the development of a new type of LNG Containment System: Chairman of the Steering Committee in a multi-million Euro Joint Industry Project / Joint Venture with a large Offshore Engineering company and in close cooperation with the development wind of a leading marine classification society, the development was done by a multi-national team of specialists in different office locations in Europe.
- Management of a multi-year, EU-funded large scale project („Network of Excellence“ in 6th EU-R&D Framework Program / www.maritime-visions.net) with 24 partners from 11 countries (Industry, Universities, Research Institutes)
- Coordinator of the team for the intermediate evaluation of the major EU-Research Program „The Ocean of Tomorrow“ (7th EU Framework Program) on behalf of the EU-Commission / DG R+I